The Conejo Players was born in 1958 with a ''Let's start a theatre'' attitude, a meager treasury, and a handful of volunteers to build a stage in a barn and put on shows. Within seven years -- and a history of some 20-plus productions -- that attitude evolved into: ''Let's build a theater!'' With the generosity of the Janss Foundation and a no-interest construction loan, a 126-seat theatre opened at the current S. Moorpark Road location in July 1964. In 1974, on the tenth anniversary of the building (and nearly 50 productions later), the mortgage was paid. And after eight more years (that's another 40 Mainstage shows and eight Conejo Afternoon Theater [CAT] productions), the urge to grow lead to a new lobby, new restrooms, new theatre seats, and an increased capacity of 185.
Within the next decade (more than 40 more productions and 30 CAT shows later!), the space demanded a workshop and rehearsal/storage areas. In 1989, an 1800-square-foot expansion was added to the back of the theatre; prop, set storage, and scene shop areas were all greatly enhanced. Ten more years pass -- that's over 60 Mainstage productions, 35 CAT shows, and three Children's Theater productions -- and the interior of the auditorium began showing its age. The need to refurbish, improve, and remodel with air conditioning, improved access, and new seats became the still-ongoing ''Reaching for the Stars'' campaign. Due to several generous donations, the Phase One remodel was completed in 2002. And in 2005, the desire to enhance the Conejo Players' musical capabilities lead to construction of an orchestra.
Take the 101 Fwy to the Moorpark exit. Turn South (away from the malls). Turn right on Los Padres Drive. Follow the driveway to your left. Theater is directly behind the Los Robles Golf Course